Responsible for, but not limited to: troubleshooting, installing, repairing, and supporting desktop computers, classroom computers, classroom technology such as overhead projectors, smart boards, AV equipment, laptop computers, and associated system software and hardware. This position will be working with on the help desk to provide professional support to supplement the student worker force. The help desk is the first line of communications with the campus. This job will involve working with the Help Desk Manager to publicize information on existing incidents, workarounds for known problems as well as to communicate with the Information Services staff about incidents and problems coming into the help desk.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide technical support to student worker staff at the help desk
- Communicate with IS staff to facilitate rapid and effective solutions to incidents and problem solving.
- Identifying the hardware and software needed to provide solutions to problems.
- Assisting in the customization and adaptation of existing programs to meet user’ requirements.
- Providing telephone, face-to-face and online support to users.
- Physically install computers and related equipment, including appropriate wiring and cabling of computing hardware and network connections.
- Provide initial support of software applications, including installation and configuration of software.
- Adjust, repair and replace worn or defective components.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean of Information Services.
- Proficient technical knowledge and troubleshooting experience with PC operating systems, window based applications, hardware and software configurations, installation and recovery of computer systems, network interfaces, peripherals, and software tools.
- Ability to interact in an effective, responsive, and timely manner with users through telephone calls, electronic mail, and office visits.
- Logical approach to work, self-reliance and ability to work independently.
- Ability to investigate, identify and solve problems quickly and efficiently.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
An Associate’s degree preferred in a computer related field plus one year of significant, responsible related computer work experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to job candidates and other employees of the College.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.