Works with the Director of Physical Plant to direct, organize, and perform the activities of the Maintenance, Custodial, and Grounds operations at the South Plains College Lubbock Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include, but are not limited to the following functions.
- Perform custodial duties on a daily basis as well as supervise custodial services.
- Perform Maintenance activities on an as-needed basis.
- Perform Grounds activities on a scheduled basis.
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise, and review work of employees assigned to them.
- Evaluate employee performance; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives, establishes schedules, methods, and procedures for the services provided.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, vacuums, wax, and buff floors as required.
- Clean windows, restrooms, offices, classrooms, labs, and common areas as required.
- Empty trash and garbage receptacles on a daily basis or more frequent if required.
- Perform general maintenance work in alteration, repair and maintenance of floors, roofs, walls, doors, windows, and other structures.
- Utilize power equipment and hand tools as needed.
- Repair tables, benches, cabinets, furniture, bookshelves, desks, counters, and other equipment.
- Perform basic electrical repairs. (changing bulbs, receptacles, breakers, as well as basic troubleshooting of electrical systems)
- Perform basic plumbing repairs. (changing flush valves, faucets, shut-offs, operating drain cleaning equipment.
- Maintain records for fire alarms system, fire sprinkler system, and hand held fire extinguishers.
Grounds Maintenance Duties
- Perform daily trash clearing on campus grounds.
- Perform weed eating, spraying, and weed removal as required.
- Maintain the irrigation system and ensure proper water scheduling is adhered to.
- Ensure parking signage is in good repair.
- Ensure gutters are clean operational at all times.
- Maintain records for back-flow preventers for irrigation system.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must have a current Texas Driver’s License and be able to meet driving history requirements as far as insurance requirements. Basic computer skills are required. Familiarity with safety codes and OSHA are highly preferred.
High School Diploma or GED. Associates Degree or higher preferred.
Three years of skilled experience. Three years of supervisory experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to students, faculty, and other employees of the college.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Working conditions are considered acceptable, but occasional exposure to one or more disagreeable elements such as dirt, dust, chemicals, inclement weather, and other hazards of maintenance equipment.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, utilize fingers, hands, handle, and feel. Must have the ability to push and pull objects with hands, reach with hands and arms, move hands in a circular motion, climb ladders to high places, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and talk or hear for eight hours or more. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move over 100 pounds assisted. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.