Testing TSI Information
Mission Statement – The Testing Center helps support the institutional mission of South Plains College by supporting student retention and success by providing examinations and resources to assist academic and professional advancement to students and externally to the community. The Testing Center is committed to maintain the highest compliance with nationally recognized professional testing standards and practices, safeguarding confidentiality of student records, and creating an optimal testing environment. Within this framework, the Testing Center strives to:
- Provide a public service by offering computer-based and/or paper-pencil testing services
- Provide assistance to various campus offices in helping students meet their needs for different programs
- Administer national and professional entrance, certification and advanced-standing examinations available to the college and community
- Provide a facility conducive to a quality testing environment which will be clean, comfortable, quiet, aesthetically pleasing and user-friendly
- Adhere to the National College Testing Association’s (NCTA’s) Professional Standards and Guidelines for Post-Secondary Test Centers
The Testing Center additionally supports student retention and success by:
- Administering appropriate exams to determine initial course placement
- Referring students to appropriate resources for test preparation and registration
Testing and TSI
What is TSI?
TSI is the Texas Success Initiative, a policy adopted by the state for all public colleges and Universities to ensure that students have the skills in Reading, Writing, and Math to be successful with college level work.
Do I have to test?
At South Plains College all students must test unless they are exempt or are enrolling in a TSI-waived certificate. Check our list of exemptions to see if you meet the requirements. Exemptions must be processed and on file in the admissions office for the testing requirement to be waived.
What test do I have to take for TSI placement?
The testing center provides TSI ASSESSMENT. This is the only Texas State approved placement exam.
What other tests are offered?
The testing centers offer a variety of tests, and can provide proctoring for distance education tests. Exams for class credit by exam, certification tests, program admission tests, and more can be taken.
You must sign up for a test at least 3 business days prior to a selected test date in person or online.
As of January 1, 2011 - Personal or Business checks will no longer be accepted as a form of payment for testing fees. Cash or Credit Card Only.
(Checks issued by a local School District will still be accepted at this time).
Where can I test?
I have tested, what do the scores mean and what do I do now?
Your scores will be used to place you in college-level courses, or in courses that will help you strengthen your academic skills so that you can be successful.
Other information:College Credit by Examination