- Personal Protection
- Distinguished Alumni
- Faux Walls
- Cinco de Mayo
- Tin Man
- CNA Class
- Student of the Year
- Student of the Year
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Myrna Whitehead or Stephanie Smith
Silent, live auctions to highlight SPC’s Annual Scholarship Gala on Saturday (March 1)
LEVELLAND – South Plains College’s 16th Annual Scholarship Gala set for 6 p.m. on Saturday (March 1) in the Physical Education Complex will feature a variety of interesting mementos during its silent and live auctions. The event also will feature exciting raffle items.
The silent auction will feature more than 45 items while the Live Auction segment will include unique and exciting items and experiences. There will be several items in the Raffle segment as well as an Elleven Rolling Duffel for the ticket drawing. The items were donated by individuals and businesses.
Gala organizers are seeking to raise more than $100,000 in scholarship support for next year’s SPC students. One hundred percent of the event’s proceeds go to scholarships.
2014 Gala Silent Auction Items:
- Texas Tech football helmet autographed by Kliff Kingsbury, donated by Kurt and Kelli Martin. Sporting Kingsbury’s Number 16 from his days as a member of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team, this high-quality helmet is a perfect addition to a sports fan’s collection.
- Original painting by Kenneth Wyatt, donated by the artist and Lyndell and Lydia Couch. This original Kenneth Wyatt, titled “Rider on the Rim,” was commissioned by the musical “Texas,” as their 45th anniversary commemorative painting, and showcases the natural beauty of the Palo Duro Canyon.
- Rustic Lamp, donated by Terry and Toni Wilson Hand. This original, hand-made rustic lamp stands 24” and is beautifully adorned with crosses, nails and twine.
- Diamond Pendant, donated by Byron and Cathy Mitchell. Infinity Flower is a stunning black and white diamond pendant necklace, 60 white and 60 black diamonds for a total diamond weight .53ct, set in 14k white gold on a 16” .50mm white gold chain.
- Coach Backpack, donated by Russell and Krystal Hall. Colorful Coach backpack in POPPY signature print.
- Vintage Post Office Door Coin Bank, donated by Terry and Toni Wilson. Rare 1920, vintage oak post office door coin back.
- Original necklace – Hawaiian stones and moss agates, donated by Allison Black. Original hand-crafted stone necklace by SPC faculty member Allison Black.
- Counted cross stich – Texas Tech University, donated by Jim Cole. An 11 ½” x 13” framed Raider Red counted cross stitch.
- Counted cross stich – Christmas, donated by Jim Cole. A 16 ¼” x 17 ¼” framed World of Opportunity counted cross stitch.
- “Decision Points,” autographed book by George W. Bush, donated by Karen Worley
- “Spoken from the Heart,” autographed book by Laura Bush, donated by Karen Worley
- “Sycamore Row,” autographed book by John Grisham, donated by Wally and Jeanelle Permenter
- Cut Crystal Pitcher, donated by Toni Ivy. Crafted during the American Brilliance period, this pitcher brings both elegance and historical value to the collector.
- Hand-made Christmas Ornaments, donated by the West Texas Chapter of the Embroiders Guild of America. These original ornaments were hand-made and intricately embroidered by the Lubbock Chapter of the Embroiders’ Guild of America.
- World Series Championship Boston Red Sox autographed baseball bat, donated by Permian Equipment Rentals – Scott Bryant. Signed by current World Series Champion Boston Red Socks pitchers John Lackey #41 and Clay Buchholz #11. The bat also carries a bonus signature by former Red Sox and current Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Josh Beckett – a two time World Series Champion (2003 and 2007) and World Series MVP, 2003.
- Cultured Pearl Necklace, donated by Social Site Media – Anna Woodlock. This three strand matched 10mm cultured pearl necklace with a stunning sterling silver and mother-of-pearl clasp.
- “American Soldier,” autographed book by Gen. Tommy Franks, donated by Karen Worley. A 1963 graduate of Lee High School in Midland, retired General Tommy Franks served as Commander in Chief, U.S. Central Command in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- My Flat in London Purse, donated by Your Shop. Express your sense of style with this beautiful hobo purse, which features leather, patent leather and calf hair finishes, with a decorative leather fob.
- Horse Head Sculpture, donated by North Basin Coating, Richard and Linda McCormick. Bust of Horse, hand-made porcelain in Valencia, Spain is grey and approximately 18” x 18”.
- Original art by Lorna Sharboneau, donated by Butch and Judy Bryant. The artist is a member of the Clara database of women artists. She was born in 1935 and currently lives in Spokane, Wash. Acrylic painting measuring 31” x 15” and depicting and abstract and eerie “red moon.”
- Original art by Chen Mao, donated by Butch and Judy Bryant. The late artist (1942-2011) used a palate knife technique to achieve heavenly-textured oil with 11” x 30” custom frame.
- Autographed guitar by Pat Green, donated by Butch’s Trucking and Scott Bryant. An acoustic guitar signed by the Grammy nominated Texas country singer who began his musical career while attending Texas Tech University.
- Ted Baker London evening bag, donated by Janna Worley. A prim, polished metal bow lends elegant dimension to the flap of a sleep cross body bag fitted with gleaming chainmail strap.
- Michael Kors Designer Handbag and Matching Wallet, donated by Kathy Hutchison. Exotic snake embossing lends sultry glamour to an essential satchel cut from rich leather. An optional, adjustable strap lets you switch seamlessly from handheld to cross body style. Comes with matching clutch.
- SPC Texans metal art, donated by Linda and Jimmie Johnson. Custom made Patio Art Deco by artist Jason Canales. Using computer software and a sophisticated laser cutter, Canales creates a variety of pieces at his home in Odessa.
- John Deere Pedal Tractor, donated by B.E. Implement. Children appreciate a hard-working machine that can perform a multitude of tasks, and that’s just what they get with this plastic pedal tractor. The platform features an adjustable seat and easy-to-reach pedals, and the steering wheel is fully operational.
- 1000-piece puzzle – Just a Cuppa with gift certificate to CUPS Coffee, donated by Jim Belcher/Rick Vanderpool with Luke and Cathie Kilmartin and Rocky and Amy Lawless. Enjoy a hot cup of your favorite beverage from five $10 gift coupons to CUPS Coffee in Levelland while working on your Rick Vanderpool artwork jigsaw puzzle.
- Hand-made Knife, donated by Jerry Corbin. A one-of-a-kind creation this original knife features a stainless steel blade and guard. The handle is fashioned from brown leather and reconstituted turquoise. A token quarter finishes the handle’s end. Makes a beautiful presentation in the handmade rock and antler stand.
- Silver Bar (x2), donated by Brock’s Carpet, two 10-ounce silver bars featuring Indian in full headdress. This .999 fine silver bar is proof-like and individually wrapped.
- Santa Claus wrapped print, donated by Scott Rombokas. “All A Twinkle,” a wrapped canvas print of the original oil painting by Scott Rombokas completed in 2013. It is not numbered but it is the only wrapped canvas print that has been produced from the original.
- Sideline Swagger Package, donated by Sideline Swagger – Brandon Hamilton and Josh Abbott. Under Armor fitted compression shirt in black with long sleeves, Under Armor Heat Gear fitted compression shirt in white with short sleeves. The Clutch hat in white and the Player visor in black. Both shirts are men’s xlarge.
- Wine Rack, donated by Chris and Susan Roberts. It holds eight bottles of wine in a unique and decorative style.
- Lynn Haney Santa, donated by Lou Dee’s. “Not a Creature was Stirring,” an 18” original handcrafted by the artist who lives in Lubbock.
- Original Oil Painting – Beagle, donated by SPC retired artist Carol Peterson, signature member of the Texas Watercolor Society and the Western Federation of Watercolor Societies.
- Binoculars, donated by Silver Spur Gun and Trade Shows. NcStar 10x50 binoculars.
- Scope, donated by Silver Spur Gun and Trade Shows. Unique Tri-Rail mount allows you to attached secondary reflex optic or accessories to the scope mount. Large Scope Tube Diametere 44mm allows a bright clear image of your target.
- Kill Light XLR250 3 Color Pro Hunter Package, donated by Silver Spur Gun and Trade Shows. This is the ultimate predator or hog hunters dream come true. All 3 super high powered single mode LED's in green, red and white. This package deal comes with NcStar's very popular guaranteed 250 yard high powered green LED Kill Light® XLR250 and includes interchangeable red & white LED's to convert your light to whatever color you want! This package also includes Rapid Scope Mount™, flashlight push button tailcap with on/off switch, one remote wired on/off switch, our premium wall charger with 12 volt car adapter and 2 ten year 18650 rechargeable batteries. This light will also run on 2 CR123A batteries.
- Carpet Cleaning, donated by CleanCo. A complete, detailed carpet cleaning up to 2000 square feet.
- George W. Bush Christmas Ornament plus tickets to George W. Bush Presidential Center, donated by George, Iris and Allycyn Keeling. Exclusively designed 2013 commemorative Christmas ornaments, available as a three dimensional metal ornament reminiscent of the White House Historical Association. Framed art is an untitled work painted by President George W. Bush. Package includes two tickets to the presidential museum located on the picturesque campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
- Oil Painting, donated by FE and Jackie Shaheen.
- Green Mountain Pellet Grill, donated by Joe Dee Brooks, Billy Mac Palmer and Joe Barnette.
- Chelsea Console Table, donated by Haverty’s. Part of the Á la Carte collection, the Chelsea console table offers the kind of distinct detail you would find perusing a Parisian flea market. This artisan design features drop leaves and a smoothly finished drawer with English dovetail joinery and a brass knob. Hand–distressing reveals a multi–step, antique taupe finish. Crafted with poplar solids and hickory veneers for enduring style.
- Scentsy Basket, donated by Mackenzie Macha Dunbar, Scentsy Consultant. Nature’s Haven Premium Burner, Ollie the Elephant Buddy with scent pack, Lacewing Plug-In, 3 bar scent pack, Room Spray, Travel Tin.
- Minkie, donated by 2 Heart Interior Design, LuAnn Freeman and Melinda Stacy. This is not just an ordinary quilt. It is made from minkie, an incredibly soft and warm fabric. It is also made with high pile fleece and flannel. It has a pocket on the back to keep a book and stuffed animal in as well as keeping your hands warm. This size is suitable for any age, for babies, children or adult lap quilt. It is great to keep in the car or use as a lap quilt or while sitting at the PC. Any receiver will cherish a hand-made quilt like this because quilts are becoming a thing of the past.
- Painting of Kliff Kingsbury, donated by Ricky and Pam Bryant.
- Autographed Kacey Musgraves Guitar, donated by Ricky and Pam Bryant.
- Tailgating Package, donated by Ben E. Keith from Jim Mara.
2014 Gala Live Auction Items
- American Brilliant cut glass crystal vase – Handcrafted in the early 1900s, this highly faceted piece has a unique shape and motif that is designed to pick up the light from any angle. The vase stands 14” high with a base of 7”. Package donated by Tony Ivy
- Texas Rangers Package, donated by Butch’s Rathole & Anchor Service, Butch and Judy Bryant and Scott and Alex Bryant. This FANtastic prize provides the winner with three parking passes and admission for 16 with option to buy up to 14 additional tickets. Guests will enjoy a skybox located behind home plate with seating for 30. Winners can choose one game from the following: June 4 (Wednesday) vs Baltimore Orioles and June 8 (Sunday) vs. Cleveland Indians.
- Original Collector’s Series Bowie Knife – The Black Diamond is number 11 of the Collector’s Series. This unique Bowie features a handle composed of stabilized mesquite burl and stabilized algerita cactus, united with grains that flow together in subtle harmony. Fiber spacers and a “ring of fire,” mosaic pin further enhance the handle’s appearance. Equally striking is the Damascus blade, hand ground and shaped with file work along its spine. The overall length of the piece is 14 ½ inches and the knife maker truly believes that this is the only knife of its kind in the world by virtue of the unusual combination of construction materials. The sheath is made of 10 ounce oil-tanned latigo leather. A display stand of deer antler, leather and black matte-finished wood complete the set.
- Original Jewelry Set – Pendant, Ring and Earrings, donated by Loy Kern. Designed and handcrafted by silversmith Loy Kern, this exquisite set is a one-of-a-kind dazzler. It features high quality blue pietersite from Africa. The trim is textured sterling silver with 18 carat gold accents. The set includes earrings, ring and pendant. The pendant is hung on a 20 inch liquid silver chain made of 25 minute strands donated by Thomman’s.
- The U.S. Open Experience, donated by G & C Contracting. Two Trophy Club passes to any two days of the 2014 U.S. Open Golf Tournament. The experience includes two grounds passes for any two rounds of the Open and daily access for two to the Trophy Club pavilion which is a sports-themed, climate controlled facility located on the grounds of the Pinehurst Golf Club and features numerous television monitors as well as for-purchase foods and beverages. Package also includes three days and two nights deluxe hotel accommodations, three day car rental, two U.S. Open souvenir packages, full American breakfast daily, expert travel and concierge services and all taxes and service charges.
- Helicopter Hog Hunt, donated by the SPC Foundation Board, will include one night at the lodge, three meals, unlimited drinks, two-hour flight, guns (custom Black Rain Ordinance AR15s with Eotech sights) and ammunition (.223), no limits on hogs. Weight and age limits on hunters – at least 16 year-old and under 300 pounds. Visit cedarridgeaviation.com.
- Tapatios Springs Spa and golf Couples Get-Away, donated by Butch’s Rathole & Anchor Service and Rose Equipment. Owned by country music legend George Strait and businessman Tom Cusick, the winners will spend two-nights in the jewel of the Texas Hill Country. With 27 holes of championship golf on three courses, swimming pool, fitness center, tennis courts, five mile hike/mountain bike trails and horseback riding, the winners will find any ways to enjoy their time. The package includes a two-night stay for THREE COUPLES with two days of golf with carts for three players. The resort accommodations include breakfast each day. In addition, the package provides $600 in credit at the PurseSol Salt Cave spa. The PureSol Salt Cave was creating by shipping in 22 tons of salt.
- Handmade Guitar donated by Darrell Grimes. One of a kind, handmade electric guitar. The body is made of all mahogany, with the top capped with ¼” exotic African mahogany. The guitar body is semi-hollow making it lighter and with enhanced resonance qualities. The electronics are Guitar-Fetish, Professional Series single coils similar to a Fender Telecaster giving the bright clear sound typical of a Tele. The electronics have been customized to add a fourth option giving a warmer, softer tone for playing rhythm or jazz. The neck is solid maple with abalone marker dots.
- Chainsaw Carving of Terrible Tex, donated by Robert and Sharon Vaughan. A one-of-a-kind carving made just for the 2014 Scholarship Gala, this work of art by Cam Dockrey, Bearly Makin It Chainsaw Carvings, shows your devotion to SPC. Standing over three feet tall, Terrible Tex will bring a smile to everyone’s face.
- Original Color Print by Paul Wylie, donated by Toni Ivy. This limited edition, signed and numbered print of a colored pencil drawing by the late Paul Wylie is beautifully framed and features the cowboy themes that reflect Wylie’s upbringing.
- Necklace, donated by Vickie Wisian. From the Thalassa Collection by Konstantino, this sterling silver necklace features London Blue Topaz.
- Custom made Worley Welding BBQ Pit, donated by Mike Worley. Constructed of ¼” carbon steel, the overall dimensions are 5 foot long, 3 feet wide and 5 foot high. The grilling area is 3 feet x 2 feet with two removable grills and charcoal box. The fire box (for smoking) is 24” x 18” with propane burner. The fire box also features a stainless steel hot plate, 14” x 16”. There is a dampener for heat adjustment. Propane regulator, hose and 20 pound bottle are included. There is a 550 degree thermometer mounted in the door of the grill. This BBQ Pit should last a lifetime.
- Ring, donated by Atchison’s Jewelry. From the Mosiac Collection by Bellarri, this custom designed ring is set in 18kt yellow gold. The ring contains approximately .29ct of genuine diamonds and a 4.68ct combination of genuine colored gemstones.
2014 Gala Raffle Items
- iPad Air, donated by Roy Real Estate and Janna Worley. Just 7.5mm thin and only 1 pound this powerful A7 64-bit chip has a 9.7” retina display and motion coprocessor. Its ultrafast dual-ban Wi-Fi and 16 GB of memory will perform with up to 10-hours of battery life.
- Clean and Healthy Car Package, donated by Stueart’s Pit Shop, the winner’s vehicle will be beautiful inside and out with this prize package, include four full-service oil changes, four full-service car washes plus 25 drive through car washes, expires one year from drawing.
- Las Vegas Package, donated by Jim Cole and Sue Jo Cole. Trip for two for three nights including air fare, deluxe hotel accommodations and show tickets.
- Gift Certificate, donated by Malouf’s of Lubbock
- Cutter and Buck duffel, donated by Joyce Woody, Scarborough Specialties, Inc. Herringbone twill design with leather accents and a zippered pocket for iPad/tablet.
For more information, contact Julie Gerstenberger, Director of Development, at (806) 716-2020.