International Students

Welcome to South Plains College!  The purpose of this page is to provide you with information you will need to get started at South Plains College.  It is important that you read the general and specific requirements for international students and the information below.

Application Deadlines

Fall Semester:  May 1
Spring Semester:  October 1
Summer Sessions:  March 1


International Student Application for Admission Transfer Form
Need Application Mailed? I-901 Fee
General and Specific Requirements USCIS Link
Bacterial Meningitis Information TOEFL Link
Acknowledgement of Responsibility SEVP Link

I-901 Fee

Before you contact the U.S. Embassy to apply for your student visa, you must pay a $200 fee to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. A form you can complete and mail in with your payment can be downloaded by clicking on the I-901 Fee link. You may also pay this fee online at


Obtaining Your Visa

After receiving your I-20 and paying your I-901 fee, you will need to contact the nearest U.S. Consulate to schedule an appointment to apply for your student visa. You must take your I-20 and I-901 receipt with you to your appointment. You must also be prepared to prove to the consulate that you have the financial resources for education in the United States.


Arriving at a U.S. Port of Entry - What You Can Expect

You may be refused entry into the U.S. if you attempt to arrive more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your I-20. You should always hand-carry the following documents:

  • Passport
  • The envelope that is attached to your passport. Do not open this envelope!
  • I-20
  • Evidence of financial resources
  • Evidence of student status, such as recent tuition receipts or transcripts
  • Paper receipt for the SEVIS fee
  • Name and contact information for your "Designated School Official" (Andrew Ruiz)

If you are arriving by air, flight attendants will distribute forms that will need to be completed prior to landing. If you are arriving by land or sea, the CBP officer at your port of entry will provide the necessary paperwork.

When you arrive at the airport, have your documents ready to present to officials. All visitors entering the U. S. must state their reason for wishing to enter the country. It is important that you tell the CBP officer you are a student. Be prepared to give the name and address of the school program where you plan to enroll.

Once your inspection is completed, the inspecting officer will stamp your I-20 for the duration of status, stamp the Arrival-Departure Records Form (I-94) and staple it to the passport.

You will need to report to SPC by the registration deadline and not more than 30 days after entering the United States to register for classes. Failure to do so could result in cancellation of your VISA.

All nonimmigrant visitors holding visas - regardless of race, national origin, or religion - participate in the US-VISIT program, a comprehensive registration system tracking entries to and exits from the United States. For more information, please visit



When you arrive at South Plains College you must visit the Admissions and Records office as soon as possible to check in and submit copies of your immigration paperwork. You will need to bring your I-20, passport, I-94, and visa. You will not be allowed to register until you check in. The Admissions and Records office is located in the Student Services Building on the Levelland campus; office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


TSI (Texas Success Initiative) Testing

All new students entering Texas colleges are required to take the THEA or Accuplacer test prior to enrolling in college-level courses. We encourage you to register as early as possible for the test as space and testing dates are limited. You will not be allowed to enroll in classes until you take the test. For test dates and information, please contact the testing center at


Registration for classes

Once you check in with Admissions and Records and take the THEA or Accuplacer exam, you will be ready to register for classes! During registration, you will meet with an advisor and plan your schedule of classes for the semester. Please be advised that payment for tuition and fees is due at the time of registration.


Student Housing

If you plan to live in the college housing, you should submit your housing application and deposit as early as possible. SPC housing is only available at the Levelland campus. For more information, contact the housing office at


International Student Reminders

  • If you are unable to attend South Plains College for the semester your I-20 indicates, please contact Andrew Ruiz immediately.
  • International students are required to register for and complete at least 12 hours per semester.
  • You must notify Andrew Ruiz when you move, change your name, or change your major. This information is reported to INS.
  • You may not work off campus unless you receive an Employment Authorization Document from INS. You will not be eligible to apply for this authorization until you have been at South Plains College for one year and it is only given in rare cases. Currently there are no on-campus jobs available. Before you come, make sure you have the funds available to support you while you are here.
  • If you plan to leave the United States, you must bring your I-20 to the Admissions and Records office for endorsement before you leave. If this is not done before you leave the country, you will not be allowed to return to the United States.

Mailing address:
South Plains College
Registrar's Office
1401 South College Ave
Levelland, TX 79336

Email Us! 


International Student Club

South Plains College has an organization comprised of international students from all over the world! This club helps new international students by giving them rides from the airport, helping them to settle in to housing, and providing support while they get adjusted to college life in the United States! For more information, please contact Maria Strong, International Club Sponsor, at


Contact Information

If you have any questions, please contact:

Andrew Ruiz at or

Vanessa Olivo at


Helpful Links

U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement

U.S. Department of State (for information on studying in the U.S.A.)

U.S. Department of State (for information on Visas)

International Student Insurance (This video will teach you how to prepare for your arrival in the US, how the US healthcare system works, and how to seek medical care appropriately if you become sick or injured.)