South Plains College
Institutional Developmental Education Plan
South Plains College establishes this plan for the implementation of the Texas Success Initiative, to include the assessment and placement of undergraduate students entering the institution and the provision of developmental education to students who do not have college-level skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. Elements of the South Plains College local plan are also included in this document.
The mission of the South Plains College developmental program is to add educational value to each individual and prepare students for the successful completion of college-level work and the attainment of a degree or certificate from South Plains College.
- To assess students’ academic strengths and weaknesses;
- To provide placement in courses which will lead to academic success;
- To provide advisement outlining a plan whereby students can achieve their educational goals at South Plains College;
- To provide high-quality, appropriate developmental coursework aligned with the requirements for success in college-level courses;
- To support the core curriculum;
- To monitor student progress in developmental courses;
- To evaluate student outcomes; and
- To use evaluation results to improve programs and courses and enhance student success.
Mission Statement for Advising
The advising system at South Plains College is a continuous process designed to foster the development of the student’s successful educational plan compatible with the unique life goals of the individual student. By practicing a holistic, proactive approach, South Plains College advising creates a student centered environment from which students emerge as independent life long learners.
- To guide in the selection of courses and preparation of an individualized success plan, including degree worksheets and TSI information that correlates with life goals.
- To increase awareness of institutional resources and make referrals to appropriate support services.
- To clarify the student’s responsibility in their academic success, including academic regulations, institutional procedures, and policies.
- To encourage educational and career exploration and goal-setting.
- To create an environment that is caring, supportive and accessible.
- To assist students in exploration, clarification, communication and implementation of realistic choices.
- To offer ongoing training and professional development activities for all involved in advising.
- To provide regular, formal evaluation of advising practices and make adjustments based on evaluation recommendations.