MEDICATION AIDE FOR NURSE AIDE
The student will receive instruction in the responsibilities and procedures associated with preparation and administration of designated medications by non-licensed nursing personnel employed in health care facilities licensed by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services. This intensive course is required for certification as a Medication Aide.
A minimum of ten (10) participants is required for this class to be held. Deadline for registration is when class is full. A maximum of twenty-one (21) students will be accepted. Participants who satisfactorily complete the course will be awarded a Continuing Education Certificate for 14.0 hours.
Textbook(s): ADMINISTERING MEDICATIONS: PHARMACOLOGY FOR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS 8th EDITION
Available at South Plains College Reese Bookstore 806-716-4610
IMPORTANT: You will not be allowed to register or pay for this class without all requirements being met.
Special Requirements for Enrollment:
- Have a High School Diploma or GED. Foreign transcripts or diplomas must be accompanied by a certified translation letter.
- Currently employed in a facility as a nurse aide or non-licensed direct care staff person on the first official day of the training program.
- Have been employed in a facility for 90 days as a non-licensed direct care staff person within the 12-month period preceding the first official day of training.
- An applicant who worked as a nurse aide in a Medicare skilled nursing facility or a Medicaid nursing facility (Nursing Home) is exempt from the 90-day requirement.
- If you work for a MHMR house, Home Health, Hospital, or Correctional Facility, you will not meet state requirements to qualify.
- A current criminal background check
- An Employment Verification form
These registration requirements are set by State Law and several require notarized documentation. Students are responsible for ensuring that they meet the enrollment requirements. No refunds will be given for students failing to meet enrollment requirements. Students must complete both lecture and clinicals. Clinical schedule will follow and may require different times and days of the week.
Step 1: Apply Online at SPC CE Application
Step 2: Provide Identification
Names must match on all documents and not expire before the end of class.
- Valid state-issued photo identification
- Social Security Card
- Certified Nurse Aide License
- Original Diploma, Transcript, or GED
Step 3: Provide Proof of Immunizations:
- MMR – 2 shot series or Titer
- Current negative TB Test (no older than 1 year prior to the first class day)
- Tetanus (no older than 10 years prior to 1st class day)
- Hepatitis B Series or TITER **Note: HEP B Titer is only required if student cannot find shot record or is in the middle of series**
- Varicella (Chickenpox) or Proof of Illness
- Flu Shot is required of all students enrolled between October 1st and March 31st
Step 4: Register In Person
|01/20/2021 - 04/09/2021||W R F||6:00 pm - 9:00 pm||
MEDICATION AIDE UPDATE
Fulfillment of the annual education renewal requirements for the Certified Medication Aide. Topics include review and update of medication aide training rules, medication administration, and related responsibilities. The student will identify current state guidelines regarding the roles and responsibilities associated with medication administration for non-licensed nursing personnel employed in licensed health care agencies; and recognize current practices in medication administration, including side effects, implications, and contraindications of commonly used drugs.
Please bring your license number with you at the time you register and on the first day of class. Pre-registration is recommended with a maximum of 24 students being accepted.
Please refer to the THHSC website for licensing expiration concerns https://hhs.texas.gov/.
COST: $60 Medication Aide Update
A COVID-19 Screening Form and face coverings will be required.
Due to current guidelines, the registration process may take a little longer, please arrive at 8:30 a.m. to allow for sufficient time with social distancing and proper sanitation between students.
Medication Aide Update Class Offerings
|12/5/2020||Sat||9:00 am-2:00 pm||Lubbock Center|
|Currently not offered||Levelland Campus|
|Currently not offered||Plainview Center|