The student will discuss theoretical and practical aspects of specimen collection (including professionalism, ethics, terminology, quality control, and safety); use basic laboratory.
This is a 10 week class in which students will learn theoretical and practical aspects of blood specimen collections for clinical laboratories. Topics include professionalism, ethics, medical terminology, related anatomy, physiology, as well as utilization of blood and non-blood specimen collection supplies, and proper techniques.
Enrollment limit is 10. Must be 18 years of age. All students will prepare to take the NHA Phlebotomy Certification Test included in this program.
IMPORTANT: You will not be allowed to register or pay for this class without all requirements being met. Criminal background checks will be performed for all students. NO REFUNDS will be given for criminal background checks.
Textbook(s): THE COMPLETE TEXTBOOK OF PHLEBOTOMY 5th EDITION
(Book Cost from Reese Campus Bookstore: Textbook $151.05 plus tax)
South Plains College Reese Bookstore 806-716-4610
South Plains College Levelland Bookstore 806-716-2396
Step 1: Complete the SPC CE Application
Step 2: Provide Proof of Immunizations:
- MMR – 2 shot Series since 1981 or Titer
- Current negative TB Test (no older than 1 year prior to first class day)
- Tetanus (no older than 8 years prior to first class day)
- Hepatitis B Series or Titer **Note: HEP B Titer is only needed if student cannot find shot record or is in the middle of series**
- Varicella (Chickenpox) or Proof of Illness
- Flu Shot is required of all students enrolled between October 1st and March 31st
- COVID-19 2-Dose Vaccine / Letter of Exemption
Step 3: Provide Identification
Names must match on both documents and not expire before the end of class.
- Valid State-Issued photo identification
- Social Security Card
- The National Certification requires a High School Diploma or GED
Step 4: Register In Person
|08/22/2022 - 10/31/2022||MW||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|09/06/2022 - 11/10/2022||TR||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|01/23/2023 - 04/05/2023||MW||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|02/07/2023 - 04/20/2023||TR||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|