The student will discuss theoretical and practical aspects of specimen collection (including professionalism, ethics, terminology, quality control, and safety); use basic laboratory.
This is a 10 week class in which students will learn theoretical and practical aspects of blood specimen collections for clinical laboratories. Topics include professionalism, ethics, medical terminology, related anatomy, physiology, as well as utilization of blood and non-blood specimen collection supplies, and proper techniques.
Enrollment limit is 10. Must be 18 years of age. All students will prepare to take the NHA Phlebotomy Certification Test included in this program.
IMPORTANT: Students must obtain a criminal background check and submit the report at the time of registration for the class. Background checks can be obtained by logging on to the Department of Public Safety website: https://publicsite.dps.texas.gov/ConvictionNameSearch/
Textbook(s): THE COMPLETE TEXTBOOK OF PHLEBOTOMY 5th EDITION
(Book Cost from Reese Center Bookstore: Textbook $151.05 plus tax)
South Plains College Reese Bookstore 806-716-4610
South Plains College Levelland Bookstore 806-716-2396
Step 1: Complete the SPC CE Application
Step 2: Provide Proof of Immunizations:
- MMR – 2 shot Series since 1981 or Titer
- Current negative TB Test (no older than 1 year prior to first class day)
- Tetanus (no older than 8 years prior to first class day)
- Hepatitis B Series or Titer **Note: HEP B Titer is only needed if student cannot find shot record or is in the middle of series**
- Varicella (Chickenpox) or Proof of Illness
- Flu Shot is required of all students enrolled between October 1st and March 31st
- COVID-19 2-Dose Vaccine / Letter of Exemption
Step 3: Provide Identification
Names must match on both documents and not expire before the end of class.
- Valid State-Issued photo identification
- Social Security Card
- The National Certification requires a High School Diploma or GED
Step 4: Register In Person
|01/23/2023 - 04/05/2023||MW||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|02/07/2023 - 04/20/2023||TR||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|04/10/2023 -06/14/2023||MW||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|04/25/2023 - 06/29/2023||TR||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|06/26/2023 - 08/30/2023||MW||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|07/11/2023 - 09/14/2023||TR||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|09/18/2023 - 11/29/2023||MW||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|
|10/03/2023 - 12/14/2023||TR||6:00pm - 9:00pm||Lubbock Career and Technical Center|