- Knock on doors and notify occupants that they must leave the building.
- Evacuate the building, taking proper shelter or distance to provide the greatest safety to students and staff.
- Students and staff should leave the building in an orderly manner.
- Close windows and doors, time permitting.
- Call 911.
- Go a safe distance and communicate to the SPC Police at 806-893-5705.
- Do not re-enter building until cleared by authorized personnel.
All campus employees should be familiar with the locations of fire extinguishers and fire alarm pull stations. Fire extinguishers are located in each hallway. Do not attempt to fight a fire before activating the fire alarm pull station and calling the fire department. If fire cannot be extinguished in less than 10 seconds, abandon attempt and evacuate the area.
- If a fire is discovered inside the building:
- Activate a fire alarm pull station. Follow the instructions on the pull station. Make sure the handle is pulled all the way down and released.
- Call 911. Give exact location (building, address, floor, etc.).
- Evacuate the building using the Building Evacuation instructions.
- Personal safety and safety of others are the most important factors when deciding when to fight a small fire. Considerations for using the portable fire extinguisher:
- If it is a small, contained fire (i.e., wastebasket).
- If unable to extinguish within 10 seconds, leave the area. If possible, close off the area.
- If the decision is to use the fire extinguisher, follow these operating instructions by remembering the PASS word:
- PULL the pin.
- AIM extinguisher nozzle at the base of the fire (approach no closer than 8 feet from the fire).
- SQUEZE trigger while holding the extinguisher upright.
- SWEEP the extinguisher from side to side, covering the area of the fire with extinguishing agent.
If there is a fire outside the building, call 911 and report the fire. Do not activate the fire alarm system.