Meningitis Vaccination Requirement
Texas Education Code 51.9192 requires all students under the age of 22 entering an institution of higher education to provide evidence of immunization for bacterial meningitis. Proof must be received by the Admissions and Records Office before the student will be allowed to register for classes. The vaccination must have been received or renewed within the last 5 years.
Acceptable Proof of Meningitis Vaccination include:
- Official immunization record with date of vaccination(s)
- Signed or stamped physician's note to include date of vaccination
- Official school record with date of vaccination
- 100% Online Exemption Form signed and/or stamped by designee who administered the vaccine
To send proof of vaccination or exemption:
- Email to email@example.com
- Hand deliver to any campus location
- Mail to:
South Plains College
Admissions and Records Office, Box C
1401 S. College Avenue
Levelland, TX 79336
Evidence of Vaccination
Evidence of vaccination must show that the vaccination was administered during the five year period prior to and no later than 10 days before the first day of the semester.
- Entering Fall 2023 - vaccination must be on or after 8/14/2018
- Entering Spring 2023 - vaccination must be on or after 1/9/2018
- Entering Summer 2023 - vaccination must be on or after 5/22/2018
You are exempt from the requirement if any of the following apply:
- You will be 22 or older on the first day of the semester
- You only intend to enroll in online courses. You must submit a 100% Online Exemption Form.
- You submit an affidavit or certificate signed by a duly licensed physician that states, in the physician’s opinion, that the vaccination would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student.
- You decline the vaccination by submitting a signed affidavit stating that the student
declines the vaccination for reasons of conscience, including religious belief. The
student must use one of the below forms obtained directly from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Exemption from Meningococcal Vaccination Requirements for Reasons of Conscience form for public junior colleges.
- Exemption From Immunizations for Reasons of Conscience. This form must be requested online or by mail and must be notarized. Please allow up to 7-10 business days for the form to arrive by mail.
- You are enrolling in a dual credit course which is taught at a public or private K-12 facility not located on a higher education institution campus. (NOTE: Dual credit students taking classes in person at any of our campus locations MUST provide proof of the meningitis vaccination.)
- You are enrolling in a continuing education course or program that is less than 360 contact hours, or continuing education corporate training.
- You are incarcerated in a Texas prison.