FOB. Temporary Housing Assistance for Certain Students
To be eligible to receive housing assistance from an institution of higher education, including a college district, a student must:
- Have been under the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services or its predecessor in function on the day preceding:
- The student's 18th birthday; or
- The date the student's disabilities of minority are removed by a court under Family Code Chapter 31.
- Be enrolled full-time at the institution during the academic term immediately preceding the period for which the student requests the housing assistance;
- Be registered or otherwise have taken the actions required by the institution to permit the student to enroll full-time at the institution during the academic term immediately following the period for which the student requests the housing assistance; and
- Lack other reasonable temporary housing alternatives between the academic terms described above, as determined by the institution.
On the student's request, each institution of higher education shall assist an eligible student in locating temporary housing for any period beginning on the last day of an academic term and ending on the first day of the immediately following academic term, according to the institution’s academic calendar.
For each eligible student who also demonstrates financial need, the institution may:
- Provide a stipend to cover any reasonable costs of the temporary housing that are not covered by other financial aid immediately available to the student for that purpose; or
- Provide temporary housing directly to the student for the applicable period.
- The receipt of a stipend does not prohibit the student from receiving additional stipends in one or more subsequent periods, based on the student's demonstrated financial need.
An institution of higher education may use any available revenue, including legislative appropriations, and may solicit and accept gifts, grants, and donations for the purposes of this section. The institution shall use any gifts, grants, and donations received for the purposes of this section before using other revenue. Education Code 51.978