GENERAL POLICY STATEMENT
Graphic logos are powerful communications tools that enable an organization to communicate an idea, image, personality or specific message to the constituents it seeks to serve. By their very nature, logos are effective in building an identifiable image that can be quickly communicated to a wide variety of audiences.
The logos utilized to represent South Plains College are the college’s visual signature for all campus locations and programs. They have been designed with specific visual messages in mind. An understanding of these messages and their intent will help direct the appropriate use of the college’s logos.
The college’s catalog of logos has been limited to three logos and the college seal that serve as representative symbols of the college. This limitation is based on the knowledge that use of a wide variety of logos to represent an organization can cause confusion and diffuse any attempt to create a unified public image for the organization. The logos described in this policy are intended for use in representing the entire system of South Plains College. Logos designed to represent a particular college location are not permitted.
DESCRIPTION AND SUGGESTED USES OF THE COLLEGE’S LOGOS
THE WINDMILL LOGO
This logo has been designed to reflect South Plains College’s location on the High Plains of Texas. The windmill has long been a symbol of the pioneer spirit of this area of the state. South Plains College carries forth a similar pioneer spirit that is reflected in the many educational innovations that have evolved at the college. A large percentage of the students who choose to attend South Plains College represent a pioneer spirit in that they are the first in their families to ever attend college. The flowing abstract nature of the logo suggests that South Plains College is a contemporary institution that values an individual student’s imagination and dreams.
The Windmill logo has been adopted for use in those printed materials and publications that reflect the college as an educational institution. Therefore, its use is appropriate in the following ways:
1. The Windmill Logo has been adopted for use as the official logo on all college stationery, envelopes and business cards.
2. The Windmill Logo may also be used on college checks, memorandums, business forms, admissions forms, and other materials utilized in the day-to-day business operations of the college where space permits.
3. The Windmill Logo may be used on all marketing, recruitment and information materials and publications that describe educational offerings and services provided by South Plains College.
4. The Windmill Logo may be used on all print advertisements that are utilized to market the college’s educational program.
5. The Windmill Logo may be used as an imprint logo on certain products and promotional items provided the appropriateness of the use has been given careful consideration.
THE SPC LOGO
Unlike the Windmill Logo, the intertwined SPC Logo is more informal in tone and centers on the college’s acronym. It is more recognizable as a symbol of South Plains College, reflecting the school spirit and traditions that have evolved from an active and interested student body. As such the logo lends itself to use in materials directed at current and prospective students. It is to be used in the following ways.
1. The SPC Logo should be used on materials that describe student services and help promote student activities.
2. The SPC Logo may be used on imprinted items, such as t-shirts, key tags, pens, pencils, notebooks, coffee mugs and other appropriate products that are sold in the college bookstore.
3. The SPC Logo is to be used on all materials that promote SPC athletics.
4. The SPC Logo may be appropriately used in recruiting and marketing literature directed at prospective students.
5. The name of the college may or may not appear with the SPC acronym depending upon the design usage.
THE SCRIPT LOGO
The Script Logo is the college’s name in a contemporary custom script typestyle. The logo allows the college to present its name in a typographic design. Like the SPC Logo, it is more informal in tone and as such lends itself to use in materials directed at current and prospective students. It may be used in the following ways:
1. The Script Logo should be used on materials that describe student services and help promote student activities.
2. The Script Logo should be used in the design of the college’s website.
3. The Script Logo may be used on print advertisements that are utilized to market the college.
4. The Script Logo may be used on imprinted items, such as t-shirts, decals, bumper stickers, and other products where a college symbol is appropriate.
5. The Script Logo may be appropriately used in recruiting and marketing literature directed at prospective students.
THE COLLEGE SEAL
The College Seal is a symbol for South Plains College’s credibility as an institution of higher education. It is the representative symbol for the South Plains College Board of Regents and the Office of the President. As such, it communicates the college’s educational authority. Therefore, the College Seal should be used on all college documents that reflect and validate what a student attains at South Plains College. The College Seal is to be used in the following ways:
1. The College Seal is to be used on degree diplomas and certificates presented to graduates of the college.
2. The College Seal is to be used on official college documents and policy statements issued by the Board of Regents, the Office of the President and the executive leadership of the college.
3. The College Seal is to be used on budgetary documents.
4. The College Seal is to be used on strategic planning and institutional effectiveness documents.
5. The College Seal is to be used on official resolutions, proclamations and awards.
6. The College Seal may be used as an imprint logo on certain products and promotional items provided the appropriateness of the use has been given careful consideration.
ADDITIONAL USAGE POLICIES
The college’s logos are the property of South Plains College and as such may not be used in promoting commercial ventures that are not expressly sanctioned by South Plains College.
Use of any of the college’s logos by entities outside South Plains College must have the written permission of the college. Requests for use of logos by external organizations must be submitted to the Office of Marketing and Recruitment in writing for review. Approval is granted by the Associate Dean of Marketing and Recruitment.
The College’s logos shall not be used in any manner or imprinted on any product that would prove to be in poor taste, that would cause the college embarrassment, or that would put the college in false light.
In using the college’s logos for any application, logos may not be dismantled or altered in any way. They may not be combined with other logos. Logos must appear in their entirety unless a particular design option has been approved by the Associate Dean of Marketing and Recruitment.
Development of logos to represent specific departments, educational programs or events at South Plains College is permitted. However, use of these logos should never supplant the specified and recommended use of the college’s logos.
Questions regarding the specific and/or appropriate use of the college’s logos that are not addressed here should be directed to the Associate Dean of Marketing and Recruitment.