BQ. Technical Advisory Committee By Laws
The following rules and procedures shall constitute the By-Laws of program Advisory Committees in the Health Occupations Division and the Technical Education Division at South Plains College. Provisions found in the By-laws shall govern the proceedings of each committee.
SELECTION OF ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Membership of the Advisory Committees shall be active business and community leaders who are appointed by the program faculty with the advise and consent of the South Plains College Administration. Advisory Committees shall be composed of 5 - 7 members, representing employers, employees, secondary schools, and program graduates. Membership may be increased only by approval of the Dean.
DUTIES OF THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Advisory Committee is a meaningful link between the community and the instructional programs for purposes of maintenance of effective instruction that is responsive to the needs of not only students, but also business and industry. The Advisory Committee should be an important source of support in addressing changing personnel needs, student interests, program planning, and the securing of additional resources.
1. Assistance in the condition of manpower needs assessment surveys from local business and industry.
2. The promotion of community awareness of services available through the various Technical programs.
3. Review and evaluation of current technology as it applies to the program curriculum.
4. Review and validation of proposed curriculum revisions.
5. Assist faculty in the determination of proficiency standards required of graduates.
6. Provide institutional assistance in student recruitment and the receipt of specialized scholarship funds.
7. Assist the program faculty in location of training seminar sites, as well as the placement of graduates.
8. Assist the faculty in the receipt of demographic data which depicts labor market trends and employment.
9. Review the quality of program facilities and equipment and assist program faculty in the acquisition of "state of the art" equipment for instructional purposes.
TERMS OF OFFICE
Advisory Committee members shall serve two-year terms. The terms of Advisory Committee members shall be staggered to allow for new members while retaining some experienced members. Committee members may be reappointed.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
The Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Secretary may either be elected by the Committee or appointed by college administration. The selection of Committee officers will occur at the first meeting each year, or immediately after a vacancy occurs. Officers shall serve one-year terms, and may be reappointed or reelected.
DUTIES OF THE CHAIRMAN OF ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Chairman of the advisory Committee shall preside at all meetings of the Advisory Committee, enforce the By-laws, and perform such duties as required by the Advisory Committee. The Chairman shall be entitled to vote on all matters coming before the Advisory Committee.
DUTIES OF THE VICE CHAIRMAN
In absence of the Chairman, the Vice Chairman shall serve in his place.
DUTIES OF THE SECRETARY
The Secretary shall keep and review minutes of the Advisory Committee meetings. The minutes should reflect all actions and recommendations of the Advisory Committee. Copies of the minutes shall be shared with the committee, program faculty, Dean, and Vice President for Academic Affairs.