FAD. Student Records


South Plains College is bound by the Texas Open Records Law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (P.L. 93-380 Education Amendments of 1974), and institutional procedures in determining access to or the release of student records.

Student records are maintained in the following areas:

    •    Office of Admissions and Records
    •    Department and Faculty Offices
    •    Continuing Education Office
    •    Advising and Testing Office

  • Dual Credit Office
  • Scholarship Office

    •    Dean of Students Office

  • Student Housing
  • Advising and Testing Office
  • Health and Wellness Office

    •    Business Office
    •    Financial Aid Office
    •    Scholarship Office

A student’s permanent educational record normally consists of the following academic information: transcript of courses taken, grades earned, semester grade point average, cumulative grade point average, placement test scores information, TEC 51.907 drops, admission application, academic transcripts submitted, transcript and certificate evaluations, and tuition classification information. The information contained on the permanent student record will be maintained by South Plains College for as long as the college exists. Records are maintained by the institution using a secure electronic information system and a secure content and document management system.

General directory information may be updated by completing the appropriate form in the Admissions and Records Office or through the student’s MySPC account.

Release of Information

Other than directory information which may be released to the general public without the written consent of the student, the college will not permit release of educational records of currently enrolled students without the student’s written consent. This consent must be signed and dated by the student and must indicate which records are to be released, the purpose of the release and the name of the agency to which the records will be released.

A student may request that all or any part of the general information be withheld from the public by making written request to the Office of Admissions and Records during the first twelve (12) class days of a fall or spring semester, or the first four (4) class days of a summer term. This request will apply to only the current enrollment period. The following student data is considered as general information:

  1. Name

  2. Date of Birth

  3. Current and Permanent Address

  4. Telephone Listing
  5. Major and Minor
  6. Current Class Schedule

  7. Number of Hours Enrolled Current Semester
  8. Classification
  9. Marital Status

  10. Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports

  11. Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams

  12. Dates of Attendance
  13. Degrees and Awards Received
  14. All Previous Educational Agencies or Institutions Attended

Generally, the college will grant access to or release of records only to students, since the rights given to parents transfer to the student when he or she attends a post-secondary educational institution. Parents of a dependent student can obtain release of that student’s records with proof of dependency. Transcripts and grade reports pertaining to a student or former student will not be released if the student or former student has an outstanding debt.

Only educational records originating at South Plains College will be copied for students. Documents submitted by or for the student in support of an application for admission or for transfer credit will not be returned to the student nor sent elsewhere on request. For example, a transcript from another college or high school record will not be sent to a third institution or given to the student.

Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days from the day the college receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Registrar, dean, departmental chairperson or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The college official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the college official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the college to amend a record that is believed to be inaccurate or misleading. The student should write the college official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record to be changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  1. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational record except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Exceptions which permits disclosure without consent include disclosure to school officials or individuals with legitimate educational interests. These individuals may include a person employed by South Plains College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a student serving on an official committee (such as a disciplinary or grievance committee) or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
Upon request, South Plains College discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

  1. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by South Plains College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 600 Independence Ave. SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605.

Upon request, the Admissions and Records Office will provide a paper copy of this information.

Health and Safety Exemption Requirement

South Plains College adheres to all requirements pertaining to the protection of student information.

However, there are limited exceptions to FERPA regulations under which South Plains College is permitted to disclose education records or personally identifiable, non-directory information from education records in connection with a health or safety emergency without student consent.

The situation must present imminent danger to a student, other students, or members of the school community in order to qualify as an exception. This action is not taken lightly and only under circumstances that present imminent danger.

Hold Placed on Records

A hold is placed on a student’s records, including grades and transcripts, when he or she fails to resolve financial obligations with the college. A hold will also be placed on the student’s transcript when he or she fails to provide required transcripts from prior educational institutions. The hold remains in effect until all obligations have been resolved.

Transcript Service

A South Plains College transcript is a complete record of a student’s enrollment at SPC. An official transcript will not be issued unless all financial and academic obligations to the college have been satisfied. All transcript orders will be reviewed for administrative holds on records.

Current and former students who need a copy of their SPC educational record may request an official transcript through the college’s online, secure transcript service with Credential Solutions. The fee for an official transcript is $5.00 each.

Official transcripts cannot be faxed. They may only be mailed or picked up by the student at the Levelland Campus or Reese Center during regular office hours. For students in their first semester at SPC, an official transcript will not be available until grades for that semester are posted to the student’s academic record.

Unofficial transcripts are available to currently enrolled students and can be accessed through MySPC.